Lampstand Factory

Monday, August 9, 2010

Babes and Infants


I love how God uses the unexpected to shake us and wake us up. Recently, we read the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal to Sam at Gathering (our family devotional time). At the end of the story the people see that the Lord is God and they fall on their faces to pray. So “naturally” (inject sarcasm) Sam wants to pray on his face. Since then, this is the only way he has allowed anyone to pray. I will start praying and he will stop me and say,


“Get on your face”


The first few times he did this I just thought it was so sweet. But after about a week, I realized that maybe the Lord was trying to tell me something. How often do I pray on my face? How often do I really come before God in awe of him and overwhelmed by him? So often I take for granted the privilege and joy of falling on my face in worship. Psalm 8 says that God uses the mouths of babes and infants to establish his strength. I have found this to be true! Children are so refreshing. Sam realizes, okay God just made a soaking wet altar burst into fire and burn until there was nothing left. He doesn’t need to research the Hebrew word for “consumed” to figure out we should probably start praying on our face! There is such beauty in simple belief and obedience. It’s a wonderful thing to be convicted by your two year old son! Lord, help me to come to you and read Your word like a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment